Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Looking For Lovely by Annie F. Downs

I’m pretty good at finding the bad in situations. It’s obvious to me what may go wrong and who may fail me. The negative outlook just comes naturally to me, so when I found out Annie F. Downs had written a book about finding the good, I was a little skeptical of it-not gonna lie (ironic, right?).

But, Annie is a friend of mine and a phenomenal author, so I figured I’d give it a try.

And I’m glad I did.


Looking For Lovely is a memoir style book with tales, lessons, and examples from Annie's life.

Each chapter holds a theme and a take away that help you look for lovely in your everyday life. The chapters are based off a season or event in Annie’s life, whether it is health issues or a trip to Israel, and she reflects on those seasons that were hard (or easy) for her, how she got through them, and gives insight to us on how to get through similar situations without feeling defeated.

For example, Annie uses eating watermelon with a friend's daughter. Yes, watermelon. Instead of being a juicy summertime fruit, Annie compares its seeds and fruit to weeping and joy.

“Just like a watermelon’s seeds are dwarfed in size by the watermelon itself, I see that my weeping and my tears will be minimal with my joy.”

I love that. Watermelon is something so regular--I eat almost everyday in the summer-- but Annie turns it into a little symbolism of joy and a reminder of a bigger plan.

And that is what she does throughout the entire book. She takes little, ordinary things: nail polish, the Ryman, sunrises, Shakira, and she turns them into little sources of joy and displays of God's hand that you can find everyday. She not only shares hers, but she encourages you to find your own, too.

In my own life, I’ve found my own sources of lovely: purple nail polish, moccasins, and BIC pens, to name a few.
Purple nail polish as an expression of the originality God has given me, when I was struggling with my identity.
Moccasins as a reminder of His comforting presence in hard times (He just encompasses us like the fuzz on cold mornings ;) ).
And even though I make BIC pens smear, they're easy to write with and make beautiful writing, reminding me that there is beauty even in the chaos.

But finding joy in items like these has lead me to find joy in the little things of life, too: a cup of coffee in the morning, singing in the shower, close parking spots, new Pinterest recipes. Everywhere I turn now, I find something beautiful, despite whatever season I’m in. I still get down and still have my "seed" moments in life, but as a whole, I find myself being more optimistic and embracing the eternal joy Jesus gives through the little things, even in the hard times.

If you're like me and struggle with finding good in all situations and seasons, I recommend reading Looking for Lovely. It can change your heart. It's being sold at Lifeway, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Books-A-Million. You can find out more about the book here and more information on Annie's website (anniefdowns.com).

Looking for Lovely was a challenge for me at first. I found it hard to look at such regular things with more meaning than at the surface, but thankfully, the Lord changed my heart, and I now look for lovely in everything. I don't always find it on the first try, but I at least know it's there, when I'm doubting.

Thank you, God, for this change of heart, and thank you, Annie, for being His vessel and teaching me to always look for lovely.

(fun fact: the shirt Annie has on in this picture is the same one she's wearing today for the book's release)

xoxo,
lauren

#lookingforlovely

No comments :

Post a Comment