Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Tuesday Treasures

August 11, 2015

This week has been so busy. Balancing golf with school and church and babysitting has actually been very hard. I'm typically good about managing my time, but it's hard to manage time you don't have, you know?


Going back to school means going back into dress code. Our dress code is cap sleeves and nothing 6 inches above the knee. My Nike shorts are more than 6 inches above the knee, which means that right there eliminates most of my summer attire. So...we went to Old Navy. I found these jeans, which I am currently wearing as I write this. I have worn Old Navy jeans for as long as I can remember: classic skinny or midrise sweetheart fit since day one. They are cheaper price wise, but just as high quality as department stores. I wear mine out! They come in many different fits, colors, and styles. I guarantee they have a fit that flatters every body type.


If you didn't know, my most recent accomplishment off the golf course was making my grandmother shortcake from scratch (and it turned out totally wonderful. Of course, what is strawberry shortcake without whip cream?
Originally, my plan was to make the shortcake and whip cream from scratch, but I chickened out and just bought a can. I explained this to my grandmother and she insisted that she show me how to make fresh whip cream, so Sunday night, we did just that. Really all you need is a cup of heavy whipping cream, 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Mix it together with a mixer until peaks form! This makes about 2.5 cups of whip cream, but if you need more, just use the whole pint and double everything else! 
The stuff in the can has nothing on this fresh cream. It is so much richer, and I really do think everyone should try fresh whip cream at least once.

In the summer, I am very very bad about throwing my hair into a messy bun on top of my head. Honestly, it's a good day if I just brush it. I'm very low maintenance, but I do enjoy "dressing up" just as much as the next person. I love how my hair looks when I curl or straighten it. 
For promotion Sunday at church (all the kids and students move up a grade), I decided I was gonna do just that. I used a 1.5 inch Remington curling wand and 1 inch sections of hair. I'm normally not this happy with the curls I get, but I loved these, especially once they relaxed and curled around each other. I'm still trying to master the whole barrel/mermaid curl, but until I can get that, I'll gladly settle for these.
I also broke out my Lilly and Jacks for promotion Sunday :) #lovemyjacks

Part of my morning routine before school is listening to really good, uplifting music to get in a fresh mindset. I typically play my "good morninggg" playlist with Young and Free, Matt Maher, and those kind of people, but I felt adventurous Sunsay morning and played iTunes Radio's Christian station. I lucked out and found a gem. It is Beautiful" by MercyMe.


"Days will come when you don't have the strength
When all you hear is you're not worth anything"

When I first heard this, school was starting in less than 24 hours. I was about to immerse myself in a world full of "you're only as good as your clothes" and "your grades are how I see you." 
I stopped fixing my hair and sat on my bedroom floor with my eyes closed.

"You are made for so much more than all of this
You're beautiful
You are treasured, you are sacred, you are His"

For me, it is so easy to believe that my grades are my value and that the score of my golf game is my identity.  And I forget that I am so much more.  I am treasured, sacred, and His. I am not the 42 I shot at Brentwood Country Club. I am not the size of the jeans on my legs. I am not the Vera Bradley lunch box in my hand. I am a child of God who is priceless to the One who gave His life for me. 

Thank you for reminding me, MercyMe. 
Don't you forget it this week either.

xoxox,
Lauren

No comments :

Post a Comment