Thursday, September 24, 2015

Kacey Musgraves on the Rhinestone Revue

It is always a good thing when I get a phone call at the end of 4th period with a 615 area code because that can only mean one thing: I won concert tickets.
This particular time, I happen to have forgotten that I even entered for these, but I was still excited when I found out I was seeing Kacey Musgraves at the Ryman on the Rhinestone Revue tour.
And it was every bit as spectacular as it sounds.

My mom and I do our best to keep up with ABC’s Nashville, so of course I was familiar with the talent of the first openers, Lennon and Maisy.

Being on "Nashville," they have filmed a few scenes on the legendary stage, so they did have a leg up on their successors, nerve wise.  They were as calm and collected as could be. With some help enhancing their stage presence, Lennon and Maisy could headline some big tours one day. Without a doubt.

From watching "Nashville," I knew they could sing, but after seeing them live, I can attest to Maisy’s unreal range and Lennon’s natural grit. They only sang a handful of songs, but their standouts were “Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked” and “Call Your Girlfriend.” Their cover of Cage the Elephant's “Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked” had the entire venue on their feet. Really. They got a standing ovation. They’re absolutely incredible.

Andrew Combs on the other hand...I wish I could say the same about the Hank Williams wannabe.

With a crooked hat and outlaw stage persona that I just don’t think matches his sweet, down home character off stage . As a musician, he was good for the first few songs, but they soon all sounded the same. Slower, indie vibes and the same chord progressions were all I got from him.
(His drummer did have a thing with his left foot that he would shake/tap it ridiculously fast regardless of what tempo the song was. It made his set more entertaining for sure.)

After a 30 minute set change, it was finally time for Miss Kacey Musgraves to take the stage.



Y’all. She is so ridiculously talented. It is absolutely absurd. Listening to her live in comparison to listening to her album, there is no difference. She is so true to her simple “Dime Store Cowgirl” sound and roots, both live and recorded. Between songs, she was sure to give the song’s background or thoughts about her nerves, boots, or personal trainer with her standard colorful vocabulary, giving her not only a better and more memorable stage presence than her openers, but also coming off as one of the most personal artists I’ve seen. I really love seeing artists for who they are, so for there to be no censor really earned some brownie points with me.

She sang her old hits, her new hits, and other people’s hits. Doing an acoustic rendition of “Merry Go Round,” a disco dancing performance of “Pageant Material,” and a jamming cover of TLC’s “No Scrubs” gave a different feel for every section of the concert.


Her “No Scrubs” cover was my favorite performance of the night (only second to her acoustic, tear inducing edition of “Merry Go Round,” of course).
Her stage décor was so perfect for the theme of small town pageants with streamers and a disco ball.
And yes, her band is wearing pink light up suits.

 The Rhinestone Revue was easily one of the most dazzling nights of the year (ha, pun totally intended) and reminded me that there’s still hope for me even if I’m not “Pageant Material.”


Stay sparkly,

Lauren

1 comment :